Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Our "Stay"cation!!!

So we are fully engulfed in our "stay"cation and I am fully enjoying the time off with my one and only :) This is now week two of my time off work so I figured I had better catch y'all up on week one.

We started the week by first heading out to Simi Valley to visit the Ronald Reagan Library. It was awesome because we hit no traffic and we had beautiful weather. Stephen and I were both surprised at the size of the place and how much it had to see. Please enjoy the pictures below.

It's Ronnie himself greeting you as you enter his library...


Stephen doing a quick test shot...we weren't allowed to use flashes in side...


Ronald Reagan's desk with his journal open to the day he was shot...he had really poor penmanship.



Nancy's dresses were a special exhibit. The pictures do not do them justice to how beautiful they were.




Replica of his family kitchen growing up as well as his early years. Can you find him in the class photo?...





His years as Governor...


The Bible he used while taking his presidential oath...and the map of the election (hope it is just the same this year Blue=Obama :)



The Olympic torch used in the 84' games...I told Stephen how excited I was to see it, because I had actually gone to LA with a soccer friend and her dad to see the torch ran through the city...I was 12 at the time and had a blast riding the bus from place to place to see the torch multiple times. (YES I rode a city bus!!!)


Here we are giving our news briefing...I think my news is better than Stephen's!



Next is, YES, you guessed it folks!!!! It is the actual Air Force One Reagan used. We were suprised too!!! It is amazing...they actually built the pavilion around the plane. It is a Boeing 707. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take pictures inside. The inside is fully replicated to Reagan's time with a Jelly Belly jar in each compartment of the plane. Below the plane, that is tilted by 2 degrees to simulate a take off, is Marine One helicopter and Reagan's limo as part of a motorcade.









After Air Force one you head outside to a beautiful view of Simi Valley and a part of the Berlin Wall as well as Reagan's resting place, where I won a pack of Jelly Belly's since I knew who Reagan was quoting at the opening of the library...it was Anne Frank. She said, as quoted by Reagan, "I know in my heart that man is good, that what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life."




2 comments:

jenny said...

Hi! My name is Jenny Bates. I was Jenny Shuck a long time ago and very good friends with Stephen in Greensboro! There were not many Mormons there and he was a great friend to me with whom I lost touch after I got married. He is a wonderful guy and it looks to me like he married a wonderful girl! Congratulations! He told me about your blog and I have loved to read about what you two are up to and to see pictures of him! He looks exactly the same. Keep up the great blogging! You have very cute stories! Maybe someday, we may meet! :)

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

This place looks so cool! You've inspired us to go.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones